Screen Recorder Software is a computer application used to record screen activities. It has the ability to record keyboard strokes, mouse clicks, audio sounds and even video by using webcam. Over the years, teachers and others have used screen recorder software to teach, record video, do software simulations, illustrate how to use a software and so on. In the past, we wrote a post on video conference apps, please check them out.
In this post, we highlighted different screen recorder software, both free and paid software and different platforms (operating systems) where you can use them. Searching for good app online may be tasking, with our experience over the years in educational technology. We have used different software on this matter, and will be glad not to allow you to go through that hassle of searching.
This post will give you from the best and help you make choose screen recorder that will suit your need for teaching online, creating YouTube videos, recording PowerPoint presentation and so on. You can watch the article as a video below or continue to read for indebt knowledge.
Uses of Screen Recorder
There are different uses of Screen Recorder Software in our today’s world especially in education. Here are some of them:
- Screen recorder can be use for teaching online.
- It can be use to record presentation.
- Software simulation.
- Screen record can also be used to record step-by-step process.
Now, without wasting much of your time, let us go strait with the list of software for screen recording.
1. Free Cam
Free Cam is a free and simple screen recorder software with an inbuilt audio and video editor. It has intuitive and attractive interface which allows you to create screencast with ease. Though, this is a free software but it does not leave watermark to your work.
- There is no watermark or time limit.
- It captures voice and computer sounds
- High quality resolution
- Can save with WMV format or directly publish to YouTube.
- It can only save as WMV format.
- Cannot record with webcam.
ShareX is an open-source recording tool that has a lot of premium features you will see in a paid screen recorders. This recording software is mostly use by developers and advance users. A beginner user may get confused because of its numerous features.
- It can record full screen, window or specific region.
- Hotkeys for quick navigations
- Ability to import existing images (videos, audio, or graphics)
- Produces low quality in game recording
- It is complicated for beginners
- Has no webcam recording
3. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is a powerful Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) for screen recording and live streaming. With OBS Studio, you can capture scenes from multiple sources. Examples are applications, browser windows, webcam and so on. It has a lot of features that may be tool much for someone who need a basic tool for screen recording.
- It allows you to setup multiple scenes.
- Ability of record from different sources.
- Has advanced configuration options.
- No recording limit.
- Supports live streaming services.
- The interface quite cumbersome.
- Learning curve is lofty for non-tech savvy person.
Camtasia is a professional all-in-one screen recorder software for educators and businesses and so on. It can be used to create video tutorials, instructional video and software simulations. Camtasia screen recorder is flexible when it comes to animation and general video effects. It also has the ability to create quizzes and interactive videos.
- Ability to record webcam.
- It can import existing videos, music, photos and even PowerPoint slides.
- You can add captions, callouts and quizzes.
- It has library of free royalty music and sound effects.
- You can separately edit audio, video and cursor movements.
- It is one of the most expensive screen recorders.
- The software has been reported to be slow when you have large projects.
- Overwhelming interface.
Price: $249. 30 days free trial.
Screencast-O-matic is a browser-based free and subscription-based screen recorder with so many features to offer. The free version of this screen recorder has a limitation of 15 minutes. Upgrading to a delux account offers more features without time restrictions.
- It supports beautiful captions.
- Can zoom during recording.
- Videos done with free version is watermarked.
- Maximum length is 15 minutes.
ActivePresenter is one of our best choice at Akanne Edtech. We have used this tool to create so many videos in our YouTube channle. This screen recorder software has free and paid versions. The simplicity in ActivePresenter makes it easy that even a beginner or someone who already have PowerPoint knowledge can use it. Here are step-by-step on how to start powerpoint presentation.
- Intuitive user interface.
- Can export to .mp4 and other popular formats.
- Ability to add annotation and transition.
- Easy to use.
- The video editor is very basic.
- Not good for game recording.
Price: $199 STD. $399 for Edu.
FlashBack is a new screen recorder with full motion-based features. It has simply interface that helps users to quickly get to what they want. This screen recorder has the ability to record screen activities and also captures webcam.
- Ability to record multiple monitors.
- It can record webcam.
- Quick upload to YouTube and others.
- Can zoom and pan around.
- Difficulty in modifying existing project.
- It allows user to import files format.
- Can’t track movement of windows.
Price: $49. 30 days free trial.
8. Filmora Scrn
Filmora Scrn is another trusted screen recorder software that is loved by many and game players in particular. It has the ability to capture fast-paced game scenes and simultaneously recording a webcam video. Filmora Scrn provides basics editing options and other tutorial features that can help teachers.
- It can record computer screen and webcam at the same time.
- Ability to export video to multiple formats.
- It supports picture-in-picture mode.
- Has picture frame rate from 15 to 120 FPS
- Supports High Definition HD videos.
- Cannot be used for advanced video editing.
- Can freeze and lag during editing.
Price: $19.99 per a year or $ 29.99 for lifetime. It has free trial.
To be candid, both free and paid screen recorder software can be effective methods of recording tutorials, speeches, software simulations, solutions steps and so on. Choosing a software depends on what your can afford.
While some free screen recorder software can be good for personal work and small projects. Those working on big or commercial projects should purchase paid screen recorder tool for their education and other needs.